Personhood Amendment: The Wrong Choice for Wisconsin
Would a personhood constitutional amendment provide permanent protection from abortion for Wisconsin’s unborn children? No!
Should Wisconsin amend its Constitution to grant personhood to unborn children? NO!
We are all weary of the long struggle to end abortion and want a solution. However, there are very important reasons why a personhood strategy is risky and not necessary for Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin has an abortion ban in the statutes (s. 940.04) which prohibits abortion. This law cannot be enforced because of the Roe v. Wade decision which legalized abortion.
- Once Roe v. Wade is reversed, Wisconsin will be one of the first states in the nation to shut down its abortion clinics because the abortion ban is already in place.
- A Personhood Amendment to the Wisconsin Constitution creates a serious risk of making the Wisconsin abortion ban invalid.
- A Personhood Amendment will not stop a single abortion because it is a philosophical statement which does not prohibit abortion and penalize those who perform them.
- A Personhood Amendment will not overturn Roe v. Wade. Granting personhood of the unborn child has been proposed to the U.S. Supreme Court in over 25 cases and the Court has not accepted this argument.
Sometimes an idea is too good to be true. Wisconsin Right to Life believes a Personhood Amendment is one of those ideas. Giving false hope to mothers and babies is not in their best interest. Supporting a costly effort which is risky and unnecessary has the very real potential of causing more harm than good.
Wisconsin is already in the best position possible to protect unborn children by keeping, and not negatively impacting, our lifesaving abortion ban which is already in place. Wisconsin Right to Life therefore opposes the passage of a Personhood Amendment to the Wisconsin Constitution and urges individuals, churches and groups not to support this effort.
You can help spread the word that the personhood amendment is wrong for Wisconsin. Here’s what you can do.
- Share copies of this brochure and this flier with friends.
- Be sure your pastor and other church leaders receive copies of this flier.
- Share the online video (below) with others by directing them to the wrtl.org/pa page.
- Use the information you find here flier to write a letter to your local newspaper so that it will appear on the opinion page.
- “Like Us” on Facebook and then share our posts on this issue with your Facebook friends.